EDGE Funders Alliance is hiring a Director for North America.
The Director of EDGE North America will be an employee of EDGE Funders Alliance, reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with Board members, other funders and with NGO and social movement allies. S/he will be based in the U.S. Northeast.
In collaboration with the Executive Director and other EDGE staff and consultants, the Director will ensure that EDGE programs, in particular activities within the US and North America related to representation and relationship building, organizing, and membership development, are carried out as planned, and that agreed upon tasks and initiatives move forward in ways that achieve overall program goals.
The Director will help provide strong, active leadership that reflects the values and mission of the organization and meets the needs of EDGE’s strategic priorities.
The Director will be a key contact and spokesperson for EDGE in the US and North America, and will have, within the context of EDGE Funders Alliance’s overall efforts, primary responsibility for the development, implementation and assessment of EDGE programs in the region. S/he will help establish and then coordinate the work of EDGE’s emerging North America Steering Group, an informal advisory group of EDGE Board directors and members.
Working closely with EDGE’s Executive Director and members of the Board, the Director will have primary responsibility for generating and maintaining relationships with EDGE members as well as key partners, peer affinity groups, and other constituencies within the US/North America.
As EDGE’s key community builder in the region, the Director will undertake US/North American membership development and member retention, and actively support the Executive Director and members of the Board in fundraising, helping ensure EDGE’s financial sustainability.
The Director will collaborate with the Executive Director, Board members, staff/consultants, members, allies, donors, and funding prospects, strengthening those relationships for EDGE Funders’ overall benefit.
Specific tasks for the coming period will be to plan and coordinate activities that help move US/North American funder engagement in EDGE Just Transition Collaborative and related program activities, contribute to EDGE’s overall (global) program goals, and help increase the number of foundations joining and/or becoming more active within EDGE Funders.
Essential and desirable qualifications of the person in this role:
- A good understanding of the foundation landscape, including how it is understood and organized, how foundations work, and what is important for them – including the types of progressive foundations EDGE is targeting.
- Understanding and agreement with EDGE’s mission, purpose, and values.
- A good understanding of both philanthropy and social movements, and how they interact both in the region and internationally beyond the US.
- The proven ability to plan, implement, and communicate strategic interventions with those involved in the process.
- Demonstrated organizing skills, and creativity and knowledge in providing services and organizing initiatives that can serve as incentives for foundations and donors.
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to follow through interventions by communicating with staff in senior positions in and outside of philanthropy.
- International work experience, and the ability to travel relatively frequently within and outside the region on occasion as well.
Compensation offered will be based on qualifications and experience. The Director position can be less than FTE, based on mutual agreement. It would begin as soon as possible.
N.B. The Director will contribute with other staff members to an internal process of rethinking the functioning and organization of the team, which may lead to a new model of decision making, task sharing and organizing in an ambition to reflect, within our organizational culture, the systemic challenges we urge our membership and wider community to address in their own work.
Send a cover letter with minimum salary requirements, resume, and a writing sample (sample should be no more than five pages) to email@example.com with your name and “North America Director” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
EDGE Funders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. U.S. work authorization is required.